Summer 2013 (Chapter Seven)



So it's now summer 2013, progress seems slow enough but in every session we record something that makes it worthwhile and keeps us looking forward to the next one. We're not recording one song at a time, we're recording all the drums and bass first, then we'll record the guitars, then the other instruments, then the vocals. The problem with recording this way is we don't even have one finished song after months in the studio, that's frustrating!!
Some people say "Everything happens for a reason", the implication is that it's all part of a bigger plan. I find that the most depressing thought I could possibly have. If your life is mapped out for you then there's no point really is there? I believe you are responsible for your own actions, you make your own luck, you decide your own life. This is the theme for the song "Let me Breathe", this is Dave's favourite song on the album, it's edgy but again it's honest, there's a lot in this song and it will sound epic if we can get it right. I'm not a fan of Religion, I'd much rather people were taught from a very early age to try and figure things out for themselves. By a million miles, the most important journey you'll ever go on is to find out who you are, you simply can never be happy, you can't ever really be at peace until you figure out who you are and you just can't be told what to believe or what to think. Lets' be honest, if you don't know right from wrong it's not Religion you're lacking!!
Peter puts down ukulele and harmonium on some of the songs, they sound excellent and they add something different. Still though, there's something missing in some songs, a violin would be perfect but we don't know a violin player. Dave knows a violin player called Podge, he plays with a band called Tractor Bomb, ahhhhh I remember now, I saw them play before and even remember that I had a quick chat with the violinist afterwards!! Dave gets in touch with him and he agrees to play on the album, we're delighted, this fella is excellent. We email him on a few songs and let him decide what he thinks would work well. He absolutely nails it, the violin gives another dimension to the album, this is really what I had in my head, it's starting to sound the way I feel.
So recording the music is going really, really well, we know what songs we're putting on it and I'm delighted with how it's written. I've managed to write the full album as one story, the album follows the roller coaster lives of a genuine, everyday couple as they struggle through modern life. Some of the lyrics are dark and hard hitting, they really hit home with me so I know other people will feel it too. Another problem though, we still don't have a female vocalist and the story doesn't work without one... the album doesn't work without one. To give some more context to the depth I've gone into for this album, I'm now starting to write and scribble notes on my fifth refill pad. I'm an old school pen and paper kind of guy, after all the effort I've put in and all the effort the lads have put in, there's no way we're falling at this hurdle.... She's out there and we'll find her..  

0 comments: