My Theory of Everything (Chapter Four)



So now it's early 2012 and I've been writing this thing for 15 months. My original idea was just to write an acoustic album, just me and my guitar telling my stories. I've been recording in Peter's home studio and I think we have around 20 songs done, they're flying around in my head every single minute of every single day, I can't figure out which ones to drop. A couple of months ago another good friend of mine, Dave, offered to put drums on the songs for me, his attic is converted into a studio and he's back from London where he was in drum college, obviously I said yeah, this could be cool!!!
What I didn't realize is that Dave is an absolute perfectionist, he programs the drum tracks and to me it sounds amazing.. To Dave it's not good enough, he wants to record them all live. If he wants to go to all that effort he must like the songs I reckon. I'm absolutely loving spending time with the lads working on music but here's the problem, Neil lives in Thailand now, Rob lives in Kerry. This has evolved from an acoustic album to a full-on band thing. I'm so happy the lads want to help and be part of this but the only way we can make this work is by emailing each other tracks and ideas, this makes progress very slow.
Since we're now recording a full band album I start thinking of what we're going to call ourselves and also for that matter, what am I going to call the album??? This Turns out to be very obvious.. The band name will be "Changing Trains", I love the imagery of standing on a platform and changing trains. To me it's symbolic of life, it's just one big journey and sometimes you just decide or sometimes something happens that make you change direction. All journeys are into the unknown no matter how many plans you make, that's what keeps things interesting. The name of the album will be "Theory of Everything", this comes from my love of Physics. The weird thing is I'd no interest in the subject when I was at school. I always think very deeply about everything and in my twenties I developed a passion for Theoretical Physics. I didn't have the mathematical foundation to really get into it but I could understand the theories perfectly well. I couldn't afford to go to college and study Physics full time but I was happy reading books and studying the subject as a hobby, fascinating stuff indeed!! The Holy Grail of physics is to find a "Theory of Everything", a Grand Unified Theory that explains everything in the Universe. I'd love to be able to come up with a theory of everything but I can't unify Quantum Mechanics with General Relativity so by writing an album as honestly as possible, from my perspective I am in my own way coming up with my own "Theory of Everything". The name of the album means so much to me and drives me to make the songs worthy of the title. I still have absolutely no idea how the hell we're going to play live, after a year and a half working on this we haven't all even been in the same room once, the obstacles are everywhere!!

0 comments: