Best Laid Plans (Chapter Six)



As far as the album goes, 2013 was definitely the year we were going to make a move. Yeah, that didn't happen!! Originally I assumed this whole thing would take 6 months, it has been a lot longer but once Dave has recorded the live drums then we're finished and good to go surely? We book into the Music Hub Studios in Limerick and the plan is we'll do maybe three sessions. As soon as the first session is over we have to face the grim truth, the sound in there is incredible, not only do we have to do all the drums live but honestly, we have to do the whole thing again from scratch in that studio. Inside I'm childishly giddy with excitement because I know in this environment, in this studio, we can get the album sounding way more professional than anything we've done so far. That feeling fades very quickly once it dawns on me that firstly, our budget is actually zero and secondly, even if money wasn't an issue, starting again is going to be mentally very tough. My brain needs a break, I can't keep thinking about this thing all the time. I reckon to record this album we'd need four full weeks in a studio. Four full weeks, six days a week, since we don't have any money the only way we can make it happen is by booking in for six hours every three weeks. It's still very hard to raise the funds but worse again it's going to take months and months at this rate, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!
I've decided on which songs are definitely going on the album, for me this is where things get interesting. Once I have the songs in the exact order I want them they seem to scream at me. It's so obvious that these songs, in this order are telling a story, the whole album is one continuous story!! I was struggling with certain parts of some songs, unsure of how to finish them because I felt that they were missing something. Now that I understand the story everything just falls into place and it feels perfect. We talk a lot about the songs, it's important to develop our sound but I don't want the same formula for every song, I'd get too bored too quickly. Every songs needs to be different but also needs to fit into the overall story without seeming out of place, how the hell do we do that?? The writer in me is absolutely tingling with excitement at the thought of writing the album as one story, linking it all together, the challenge is too enticing to shy away from.
Once again everything seems to be falling into place but then another hurdle. If we want to make every song unique and fresh we're going to need more than just the usual guitars, bass and drums. We need to try different instruments, maybe find other musicians, it's not just that though, the way the story of the album is unfolding it becomes obvious to all of us that we need a female vocalist, the story is all about a couple, it has to be. It seems like there's never ending complications, it keeps developing, keeps growing, the closer we get the further away it seems. I could get a bit disheartened at this stage but I look at it this way, it doesn't matter how long it takes, that time is going to pass anyway, we'll get there. I can hear the final album in my head so clearly now, time means nothing.

0 comments: