February 2011 (Chapter Three)



As you can tell by now I'm hopping back and forth, I could just tell you what we're up to week by week but the story doesn't really mean anything without the background!! Let's flick to February 2011, I've now been writing again for 4 months. I have a song that I wrote years ago but never recorded, it's called "Feeling Great", the chorus is infectious and I always regretted not recording it. I've approached the song differently this time around, I'm wiser, more relaxed and full of ideas, I still haven't told anyone I'm writing again but since I now have 3 or 4 new songs I really like, I want to record them.
It's weird but I'm just waiting to wake up one day and be sick of writing but that day doesn't arrive. My phone is now full of songs and bits of songs and ideas, I tend to forget a melody as quick as I thought of it so I need a dictaphone on me at all times. Some nights I'll come up with 2 or 3 different ideas and record them on my phone, as soon as I leave the room I've forgotten them, I love when that happens because it means that when I listen back to them in the morning I can be very objective. Sometimes I listen back the next morning and hit delete straight away but when it's worth hanging on to I'm one very happy man. I think I've enough songs for a decent EP now but for me that's still not enough. You see my mentality has changed, I look at it this way, I'm not the worlds greatest guitarist, that's ok, I never wanted to be or never needed to be. I'm not the world's greatest vocalist, that too is ok, I never wanted to be or never needed to be so I knew my real challenge lay elsewhere. I want to write a real classic album, something that will affect people, something that will hit them straight away and leave it's mark for a long time. The only way I could do this was through the story telling and the melodies, if I can focus on that then it's a level playing field, all this comes from your mind, your imagination. If I'm going to take on this battle then this is where it'll be won or lost, I have to believe that I can go toe to toe with anyone in the world. You see no two people live the exact same lives, see or feel the same things so everyone's story is unique, therefore no one can write songs the way I can. I'm starting to believe I can do this, I'm starting to believe I can write a unique album from my perspective, in my own way and thanks to my melodies I can do it in a way that will stick with people, if the songs catch me then they'll catch others. I now have a lot of people encouraging me, I suppose if I was asked what makes me think can write a classic album? My answer at this point would be.... Simple, there's no one around me telling me I can't!!! 

0 comments: